Hair colouring is a method which used to cover white or grey hair in ancient time though today it is an art of cosmetic. It is also a method of treat hair. In the very first time, people used natural colours taken from parts of plants like Henna, Woad (Isatis tinctoria), Madder (Rubia tinctorum), Weld (Reseda lutiola), Indigo (Indigofera tinctoria), Sunflower (Helianthus Annuus), and Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta), then after used several chemical syntheses. Women usually coloured their hair and man coloured hair as well as moustaches and beards also but, most people do not know in present (mostly) women colour their body hair to match body colour. There are lots of evidence in ancient Greece and Rome regarding hair colour female. They founded a permanent black hair dye. The Egyptians used henna to convert grey hair to black. In 300 BCs, invented colourful hair dye in the first time (yellow colour) for prostitutes to symbolise their profession.
English chemist William Henry Perkin discover permanent hair colour accidentally in the 1800s. First hair dye company called “Oreal”, started in 1907. Today this is very common cosmetic art in society and it has become the most popular fashion between male and female.
Why hair colour change?
Hair does not stay in the same colour during a lifetime. It changes with age. Proteins named “eumelanin” and “phaeomelanin” which produced by pigment cells called melanocytes within hair follicles, usually obtained by hair colour. Eumelanin is caused for brown to black hair shades and phaeomelanin is caused for blond, ginger, golden and red shades. When this any kind of melanin is deficient, hair turns grey-white. With ageing, the melanocytes become less productive and prevent producing the colour and it is in such a case that colour has to go. And here are a few other reasons to change hair colour,
- Medical conditions – Thyroid problems can be affected to change the condition of hair. It may lose and thin hair.
- Nutrition deficiencies – While severe iron deficiency anaemia people experience hair loss and colour change. Hair follicle cells are sensitive to lower levels of iron and may not be able to grow new cells. Insufficiency of vitamin D Also thin and change hair colour.
- Heat – Using hair irons is directly affected hair colour female. Those equipment are adding tightness and deeply damage the hair. It changes your natural hair colour and can also cause your tinted colour to dull.
- Chemicals – Using bleach-like chemicals to treat hair, will decrease hair bonds, ant it leading to damage the natural hair.
- Genetics – Your genetics determine hair colour and strong and when hair will grey or white.
- Stress – It is directly affect acute or chronic stress to hair become white or grey (premature achromotrichia).
- Smoking – This also may cause premature achromotrichia.
Why hair colour need?
There are many reasons to tint hair. The main purpose of dying hair is cosmetic and secondary, cover the aged hair in elders. And another reason is restoring the original hair colour, due to discoloured by many reasons like sun burning, bleaching, hairdressing also. Some women have more dark body hair and need to wax or shave. So they colour their body hair also to disappear them.
You can choose a type that suitable for you.
As an example, you can change your hair permanently or temporary. According to the used chemicals or materials change the type of tint. You can choose the best hair colour technique, and best hair colour ideas, after reading this article.
- Permanent – Permanent hair dyes contain a combination of the chemicals ammonia and hydrogen peroxide. Ammonia and oxidizing agents permanently change hair colour. Ammonia opens the hair cuticles and penetrates into the hair cortex. These chemicals have hurt the hair.
- Demi-permanent – These hair colours contain alkaline agents like hydrogen peroxide. The collapse of hair is lower than permanent method due to less effective in removing the natural pigment of the hair. The demi-permanent method normally uses to cover ashen hair more than colour and it is safer than a permanent method.
- Semi-permanent – There is no contain Ammonia or hydrogen peroxide. So harmfulness also reduces more than permanent and demi-permanent methods. Colour removes in a few weeks. This hair colour method is normally useful for few grey-white hairs.
- Temporary colour – These are used to colour hair on special occasions. You can use these colours various forms like rinses, shampoos, gels, sprays, and foams. Because cannot penetrate the cuticle layer, there is no damage to hair. Removes after washing.
Check for allergies.
There is no need to be afraid to dye your hair. But you should be careful. because of these colours produced using artificial chemicals like ammonia, it may be an allergy for your skin. Here are a few things you should know and do. First of all, it is important to check whether hair colouring products cause allergies to your body. Any irritation occurs, It is important to get medical treatment as soon as possible and you should not go for any colour.
- Prepare the small amount of mixture that you take to colour your hair.
- Apply it on the medial side of the arm by using a cotton swab in a size of about 1-inch area.
- Allow to dry it naturally.
- Leave it for 48 hours (according to product instruction time period may be changed) without touching or wetting.
- Observe the test part twice every 30 minutes and after 48 hours from application of the test agent.
- If there is any dermatitis, itchiness, blisters, irritation, redness or any other skin anomaly，rinse the test part with water immediately and get medical treatment.
- If there is no skin abnormality next 48 hours from the test，you can use the hair colour.
How to maintain after colouring your hair?
There are numbers of steps that must be followed after colouring hair to protects the hair and its colour without changing. Particular attention should be paid to preserving the colour of the pigment.
- Do not wash your hair until goes 72 hours.
- Use colour protective shampoos and conditioners
- Do not use shampoo containing sulphate
- Do not use hot water to wash your coloured hair
- Deep conditioning treatments
- Do not wash your hair often
- Do not use chlorine water
- Avoid using soap or shampoo.
- Do not dry your hair with a hairdryer
- Take advises from your beautician
You can get more hair colour ideas from Helabeauty.info. Stay with us for the best hair colour ideas.